Thursday, September 11, 2008

BAMS ch. 4

The most valuable thing for me from chapter four in "Becoming a Master Student" was probably the techniques for increasing my reading speed. the reading fast article helped e to learn that I can actually read faster than normal, and still comprehend the material if I were to read slowly, The tips that the article gave was to get the body ready, by sitting up straight at a desk, or stand up and read. To set a time limit that is realistic, to relax, because it is easier to read faster when we are relaxed. To move my eyes faster, by following my finger, or using something like a pencil or note card to keep me on track. To notice and release ineffective habits, to skim the text if I'm pressed for time, to stay flexible and to explore more resources. All of these tips are helpful, but I think the "skim the text" helped me out the most. It let me know that if I am in a hurry it is okay if I do not read the chapter, and skim it instead. The article explained "skimming" to be: reading the titles, subtitles, lists, charts, graphs and summary paragraphs. I know this will help me out a lot because if I do not have time to read a forty page chapter, I can at least skim it to see what it is about. That is why the reading fast article was most helpful to me.

1 comment:

Teresa Blue Holden said...

Good - I think that learning to read faster has been really important for me, also. I also think it's important to have permission to skim. In each class you will learn the amount of skimming and the amount of in-depth reading you need to do. Prof. Holden